Brandi L. Chudoba
Brandi Chudoba began her career practicing in the General Litigation group in the Chicago Office of Kirkland & Ellis, LLP. At Kirkland, she represented major international corporations including the Dow Chemical Corporation, General Motors Corporation, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, Morgan Stanley, and GMAC. She handled a wide range of litigation matters, ranging from complex and multi-district civil litigation under ERISA and the securities laws, to cases involving products liability and commercial and insurance contracts.
After she and her husband returned home to the Rockford area to be closer to family, Brandi joined the Faulkner Law Firm and within three years, became a partner in the firm. Brandi utilized her litigation background and training on behalf of Rockford area hospitals, physicians, and physician groups. She held primary responsibility for the strategy and management of the defense of multiple healthcare professional liability matters and she was on trial teams that notched four jury trial victories for the firm’s healthcare clients. In 2012, Brandi branched off on her own to join her sister, Mindy Chudoba, in their own practice as Chudoba Law Firm, LLC; in 2017, Brandi then returned to help establish Faulkner Spears & Chudoba LLC.
A persuasive oral advocate who has been formally trained in communication, Brandi also brings strong writing skills to her clients as well. She has taken the lead in various appellate briefs, obtaining favorable decisions from the Illinois Appellate Courts for both the First and Second Districts. Her appellate skills have preserved hard-won trial victories for her clients.
Brandi is philosophically committed to devoting time to pro bono matters. Early in her career she took a particular interest in representing persons seeking political asylum in the United States and lead a trial team to victory in the Immigration Court on behalf of a political activist from an Anglophone province in Cameroon.
Brandi earned her J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law in 2004. She was a member of and associate editor for the University of Illinois Law Review and was named to the Order of the Coif. She received a Rickert Award for academic excellence, reflecting her 15th class rank in her graduating class. In her third year of law school, she was offered an instructors position at the University of Illinois and taught speech communication to undergraduate students. Brandi received her B.S., in Communications Studies and History, from Northwestern University in 2001.
- Drafted petition for certiorari to the California Supreme Court on behalf of automobile manufacturer in products liability class action alleging defective parking brakes and received one vote from three judge panel in favor of granting certiorari review.
- Participated in drafting successful motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, and oppositions to motions for class certification in actions alleging violations of ERISA and the U.S. Securities laws on behalf of major national and multi-national corporations.
- Team member in jury trial on behalf of a physician and hospital in an action involving alleged failure to administer TPA, resulting in a debilitating stroke. Handled all unique motions in limine and successfully drafted and argued a motion in limine barring one of Plaintiff’s experts. Participated in preparation of expert examinations and worked closely with the Defendant physician to hone his communication skills prior to his examination. (11-1 mistrial in favor of the defense).
- Participated in a jury trial on behalf of a physician and hospital in an action involving an alleged failure to diagnose a pulmonary embolism, resulting in the death of a 38 year old, married, father of two. Handled the majority of the unique motions in limine. Helped develop the examination of the defendant physician. The trial resulted in a defense verdict that was later appealed and Brandi drafted the post-trial motions and appellate brief in the Second District that preserved the clients’ victory.
- Served as lead counsel in jury trial handling the entire causation and damages case on behalf of a defendant hospital in trial alleging a wrongful death due to a failure to maintain a patient’s NPO status prior to surgery. Prepared and examined all experts and treating physicians related to whether an aspiration event caused or contributed to the patient’s later death from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Also assisted with strategy and preparation, and drafted and argued a motion in limine striking two of the Plaintiff’s four alleged deviations from standard of care. This trial resulted in defense verdict on liability and causation (shown by special interrogatories which the jury answered in favor of the defense).
Brandi is admitted to practice in Illinois and Wisconsin, and before the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois.
Contact Faulkner Spears & Chudoba LLC
- 308 W. State Street Suite 115, Rockford, IL 61101
- (815) 963-8050
- (815) 963-8057
- View map and get directions
- Contact us
- 19 Mar 2020Medical Malpractice Considerations in the Age of Covid-19: A Healthcare Practitioner’s GuideAs a Firm that focuses on defending healthcare clients, in the past several weeks we have been getti...